For your Maker is your husband,
The Lord of hosts is His name;
And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel;
He is called the God of the whole earth.
Isaiah 54:5 (NKJV)
Names of the Lord Our Husband
Isaiah 54:5 shows us several names that are specific to the Lord as our Husband.
- Our Maker is our Husband.
- Our Husband’s name is the Lord of Hosts.
- Our Redeemer is our Husband.
- Our Husband is the Holy One of Israel.
- Our Husband is called the God of the whole earth.
The Lord Our Husband, the Holy One of Israel
Therefore, as the fire devours the stubble,
And the flame consumes the chaff,
So their root will be as rottenness,
And their blossom will ascend like dust;
Because they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts,
And despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 5:24 (NKJV)
The Hebrew word for “despise” means, “to spurn, contemn, despise and abhor.” Since I am not familiar with the meaning of contemn, I looked it up in Webster’s 1828 Dictionary. Contemn means, “to despise; to consider and treat as mean and despicable; to scorn.” The Hebrew meaning of “word” refers to the word of God and the Torah. It comes from a word that includes meanings of “word, saying, promise and command.” The word of God and the Torah are words of the Lord that include commandments and instructions, as well as promises. The Word of the Lord gives detailed instructions of how we are to live in covenant relationship with Him. It also speaks of the promises that come with living in covenant with the Holy One of Israel. He takes pleasure in living in covenant relationship with us. When we live according to His commandments, we are able to receive the promises and provisions of His covenant.
Scripture shows us that despising the word of our Husband, the Holy One of Israel, results in negative consequences. Despising the Word of our Husband, the Holy One of Israel, is actually a form of self-hatred and self-sabotage. Anytime we do something that harms us, we sabotage ourselves. The Holy One of Israel loves us deeply and has given us everything we need in order to live from the blessings and provisions of the covenant He makes with us as our Husband.
I invite you to repent of any times you may have knowingly or unknowingly participated in the following actions against the Lord our Husband, the Holy One of Israel. You may also choose to include repenting of generational sins in these areas.
- For despising, spurning, contemning, and abhorring the Word of the Holy One of Israel, our Husband
- For participating in self-sabotage by not heeding the instructions of how to live in the fullness of provision and the blessings of the covenant of the Lord our Husband
- The Lord our Husband, the Holy One of Israel is also our Redeemer. Please allow Him to redeem you from any consequences of despising His Word that has come through you or your generations. He takes delight in living in covenant relationship with you. In addition, He can and wants to heal any areas in your life that are the roots of your self-sabotage. The Lord your Husband, Redeemer and the Holy One of Israel will help you.
- “Fear not, you worm Jacob,
You men of Israel!
I will help you,” says the Lord
And your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 41:14 (NKJV)
I invite you to take time with the Lord your Husband, the Holy One of Israel, and ponder these items for growth in your daily walk with Him.
Please ask the Lord your Husband, the Holy One of Israel:
- Are there areas in your life that in some way you despise or not like the instruction of the Lord?
- If so, what are they?
- How does not following them hurt you and keep you from living from the promises of the covenant with the Lord our Husband, the Holy One of Israel?
- Is there a root issue or a wound that needs to be healed in order to love and follow the Word from the Lord our Husband, the Holy One of Israel, in order to receive His promises that come from living in covenant relationship with Him?
- How does the Lord want to help you and redeem this area in your life?
- Are there things you need to add or remove from your life to aid in your victory in this area?
- What does Scripture say about how your life would look when living from a place of victory in this particular area of focus? What does it look like in context of the provisions of the covenant of life and peace the Lord our Husband, the Lord of Hosts, the Holy One of Israel, has made with you?
Copyright 2016 Rivkah Isaacs